Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reverence in a word...

I didn't disappear....
I haven't written in a few days, not because I didn't have something to say, because I always have something to say, but just because I didn't want to say the wrong things. I wasn't lead to write. Today He said, "Sit down and type I'll tell you what I want you to say..." So here I am, typing, listening to music and just waiting. Its funny, I keep going back to this word Holy.


God is Holy
My son asked me the other day what holy meant. I tried to explain it to him this way...


Sometimes there is only one word to fully describe something. Holy is that one word used to describe God. There isn't another word that can truly define Him, and it is the one word you should only use for God. He was like, "oh yeah mom that is why those creatures in heaven just say holy holy holy all the time right?" Yep kiddo you are right. (He does listen to his Momma! Go figure) Of course that just lead to his whole fascination with the book of Revelation. LOL What is it with boys and loving that scary stuff?! I tried to detour from that and lead him into a discussion about the "Holy of Holies" in the old testament. He was quite impressed with that instead so I did good. lol. But this kinda got me to thinking about the word Holy.


Merriam-Webster defines holy as:
exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness.


To me that doesn't describe anything BUT God. Perfect goodness and righteousness... Love that! My God is perfect. Holy...and I don't need to explain it, because my simple human words can't, and to me that is OK.


What is Holy?
You know that moment when you stop for a second and listen to the birds singing? But I mean really listen... You for one brief moment hear all of the tones and pitches of that sound, and if you closed your eyes I bet you could see the music in your head. That is a glimpse at God's holiness. Or maybe when you hear a song and it takes you and rearranges you inside...almost to the point of making you tremble... That is a glimpse of Holy. It could be the moment you feel God's very breath on your face and you don't want to move because you just want Him to stay right there with you, or when you look into the innocence of a baby's face you might for a single minute understand the depth of God's complete holiness. 


Hold on I'm about to get really deep!
Why does it work that way? I think its something that doesn't stick with us for long because that is how God designed us. Not because we don't need to think God is holy, but because we aren't meant to be able to grasp it. If holiness was something we could "figure out" like everything else in this world, I think it would lose its meaning. Crazy as that may sound, I truly think that is part of how God works. There has to be mystery, there has to be things we don't know, so that we will want to learn. Once we as humans have "mastered" something we are quick to get bored with it. I think that is why God doesn't let us fully grasp it, because He doesn't want us to lose interest. So take a minute and think about how holy God is. I don't know about you, but when I do that I get transported to a place I don't understand but I'd stay there forever if I could. Its warm, filled with light, and beautiful beyond measure. There are colors I can't describe, I feel so safe, and there is this sound... its like waves of liquid energy just pouring down and over me like water and its so breathtaking.


(Omg... stop like screeching brakes! that is what that song kept saying to me! EEK! WOWIE I am trembling! lol. Sorry... just kinda drifted off for a moment into my own little world, but you gotta hear this...This morning the song "Washed by the water" by Need to Breathe kept popping into my head, so I kept listening to it over and over... It was like I was sitting in an old southern church. I was singing along and raising my hands, but I kept feelings this awesomeness I couldn't explain, until now. It was holy washing over me. God washing me. TOO COOL! Sorry... if you can't stand acts of randomness then I'm not someone you should talk to lately. Been happening ALL the time. Not that I'm complaining. Its awesome to be this close to God. I seriously wish I knew how to get everyone this hooked on Jesus! Its the best kind of high ever created!)


You gotta listen to this song now and think of that!!!




 But anyways.... back to the description...lol...Ahem!


Simple beauty of a word...
To me there is something just beautiful about the word holy. The way it sounds, and how the word just rolls off your tongue is just so... poetic. Its almost like when you say it you have to close your eyes because it is just reverence in a word. I was going to try to paint what holy was like.... and I couldn't. I couldn't even wrap my head around a concept to paint that would resemble it. The only thing I could come up with was a color... blue. Why? I have no idea. Then it suddenly became a test to me... I'd think of Godly words and I'd come up with ideas I could paint. I could do it for everything like love, peace, hope, faith... all of them, but holy, still just blue. That should tell you something. When an artist can't paint it, and a writer can't describe it, maybe its something we should hold close to our hearts. I love that about God. Its the moments when He shows us how beyond our measure He is that we cling to Him the most. Such a treasure!


Until next time, I love you... Hold tightly to what you feel is scared. Love will find a way.
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment